Erectile dysfunction (ED) is the inability to achieve and or maintain an erect penis sufficient for sexual performance. It is estimated that 15 to 30 million American men suffer from ED. The condition is treatable in all age groups and treatments include using medication and penile implants.
Some risk factors include:
• Being 50+ years of age
• Smoking and drug or alcohol abuse
• Use of certain medications
• An unhealthy diet or lack of physical activity
• Low testosterone
• Surgery or injury to the pelvic area
• Psychological factors such as anxiety and stress
• Medical conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol or cardiovascular disease, etc.
Treatments include psychotherapy, medications and surgery. Psychotherapy can be beneficial when there isn’t a physical reason for the condition suggesting anxiety or stress could be the cause. Medication is generally taken an hour before sexual activity and relaxes the smooth muscles of the penis which increases blood flow helping the penis to become erect during sexual activity. When other options are not successful, surgery could be suggested. Penile implants, reconstruction of the arteries and blocking off veins may be necessary measures.
If you think you have erectile dysfunction, please contact us today to make an appointment.